Tranquebar - where time and tide dance in step
The lure of spices brought every European nation to India. Portugal, Holland, France, England -- they came one by one. Did you know that Denmark, too, was on that list? The little-known alcove of Tharangambadi, on Tamil Nadu's eastern coast, became Tranquebar to the Danish, who set up base there. One part of the Danes' mission was to evangelize the Protestant faith. Another was to colonize the island of Nicobar. Tharangambadi in Tamil means 'place of the dancing waves.' Today, time and tide dance in step among the ruins of Tranquebar.
ANAND YEGNASWAMI visited Tranquebar and returned with a slice of nearly forgotten history.
Today on Yahoo
1 - 6 of 43
VIEW MORE TRAVEL GALLERIES
1 - 8 of 501
- Mon 12 Jan, 2015 11:03 AM IST
- Thu 19 Mar, 2015 4:29 PM IST
- Wed 18 Mar, 2015 11:07 AM IST
- Fri 13 Mar, 2015 10:05 AM IST
- Sun 22 Feb, 2015 5:00 PM IST
- Sun 22 Feb, 2015 5:22 PM IST
- Sun 22 Feb, 2015 5:45 PM IST
- Sun 22 Feb, 2015 4:28 PM IST