Each one of us eat all types and varieties of food throughout the day.
This continuous activity that we subject our teeth to, results in food deposits at various corners and portions of the mouth. This deposition of food results in plaque that can cause damage to the teeth in the longer run. In order to avoid gum diseases, tooth decay and other related problems, it is recommended that one must floss at least twice a day. Below are few tips about how you should floss your teeth the right way:
1. Selection of the Floss: Many types of floss are available in the market today including electric flossers. One should opt for floss that doesn’t damage your gums and effectively removes the plague that could otherwise turn into tartar leading to cavities. Pick one that fits well between your teeth, glides smoothly and has a pleasant taste. It can be waxed, unwaxed or flavored.
2. Dispensing the Floss: Before brushing, measure an arm's length of floss keeping it at about 18 inches. Wind a major part of the floss around each middle finger and leave an inch or two of floss to work with.
3. Begin the process: Now you can gently glide the floss between the teeth in a sawing motion. Make sure this is done with caution since careless flossing can cause damage to the tissue.
4. Angle of the Floss: You must angle your floss in such a way that it hugs the tooth in a ‘C’ shape. This must be followed by gliding the floss up and down slightly below the gum line. Repeat the process to hug the tooth in the opposite direction. Continue the flossing on your upper as well as lower teeth.
5. Follow up with brushing: Once you are done with flossing, follow up with brushing your teeth and rinse with either water or mouthwash. Make sure you use the right technique while brushing your teeth.
You must try to floss your teeth everyday, if you don’t get time in the morning then certainly make time in the night before going to bed. By regularly flossing, you can avert cavities and other tooth problems. For taking good care of your pearlies and for an overall oral hygiene it is extremely crucial to floss.
You may also Like: