If you thought racism is not an issue in India, you are hugely mistaken. In the land of diverse cultures and castes, racism has become such an intrinsic part of daily life that they are used as "harmless" jokes.
While watching the movie '2 States' recently, I was appalled when the Punjabi protagonist Krish's mother boasts about her son's fair complexion to his Tamilian girlfriend's family. According to her, her son's girlfriend may be fair skinned, but that cannot be said of all "madrasis" (a slang that commonly refers to all south Indians). They all have a dark complexion (kaale), she argued.
And to top it all, more often that not, it is all taken in jest, with most people often having a good laugh.
But being half-north-east (my mother is from Nagaland), I feel the larger brunt of racism is endured by the people from the north-east. With jibes such as 'Are you from China', or 'You look chinky, where are you from', the good people from the north-east are poked fun at all times.
If you thought racism is not an issue in India, you are hugely mistaken. In the land of diverse cultures and castes, racism has become such an intrinsic part of daily life that they are used as "harmless" jokes.Read More »from Read this and ask yourself, are you racist?
- Lucky Magazine | SHE – Tue 22 Apr, 2014 12:49 AM IST
by Hillary McDaniels
Becoming a princess overnight: it's something we've likely all dreamt about since childhood. But since the likelihood of us becoming the next Princess Grace or Duchess Kate is pretty low, we'll just have to settle with daydreaming about what we would do if we were suddenly royal. From the jewels to the gowns to the official portraits, being regal comes with tons of amazing-not to mention incredibly stylish-perks.
In honor of Queen Elizabeth's 88th birthday today, we're taking a look at her stunning personal jewelry collection-along with a couple of the most famous coronation crowns. Click through above to marvel at these incredible family heirlooms with us, and let us know what you'd wear if you became instant royalty!
Read More »from Happy Birthday, Queen Elizabeth II: See Her Majesty's 12 Most Impressive Jewels
- How to know if he thinks you're the one.
By Frank Kobola
1. He gives you a big, goofy look like he just won the lottery. He might look like an idiot, but that look means he just fell in love with you even more. He even gives it to you when you're on the couch in your sweatpants eating Doritos.
2. He's told you things he's never told anyone. Maybe they're mind-blowingly life changing secrets, or maybe they're just little details or insecurities he has. Either way, he feels comfortable talking to you.
3. Sometimes he just has to kiss you. You might be looking the other way and he just kisses your ponytail, but he couldn't help it.
4. He tries to befriend your family. He goes golfing with your dad. That is hell for some people and yet he willingly puts himself in that position.
5. He always wants you to be a part of whatever he's doing. Even during guy's night he texts you a photo of Mike's cute dog because he knows you'll love it. Or Mike's stupid new facial hair becauseRead More »from 12 Ways He Shows You that You're the One
- How to Destroy Your Marriage in 8 Easy StepsMarriage counselors will tell you how to keep your marriage together. If you want to know what destroys a marriage, the experts you want to consult do not necessarily have psychology degrees. Rather, they went to law school.
Divorce lawyers see relationships at the bitter end. They see couples at their worst. So it makes sense to me that they must have a clear sense of what not to do if you want to keep your relationship happy. I asked family lawyer Lisa Helfend Meyer, who happens to also be a happily married parent of a special needs child, if she'd be willing to share what, in her opinion, are the top eight things that land couples in divorce court. This is what she told me.
Destroy Your Marriage Tip #1:
Be secretive. Pretend you're both in the CIA.
"It's so easy these days to avoid a real conversation with your partner," says Meyer. After all, after a long day of work and diapers and traffic, sometimes the last thing you want is to actually talk with your mouth. Leaving cuteRead More »from How to Destroy Your Marriage in 8 Easy Steps
By Brie Schwartz, REDBOOK.
My husband and I disagree on a lot of things: I find Game of Thrones too gory, believe pink should be incorporated into every design scheme, and then there's the real stuff, like the fact that we were brought up practicing different religions, and that we'll have to figure out how to raise our kids. But even with our issues, I know we're meant for each other. How, you ask?
Related: 7 Signs Divorced Couples Say They MissedRead More »from 7 Ways to Know You Belong Together
1. I tell him I don't need him and he ignores me.
There have been countless occasions when I've assured my husband I could handle situations without any of his help--ranging from minor things, like pulling heavy dishes out of the oven (I'm a tad accident-prone) to the bigger events, like visiting my mom in the hospital when she took three too many painkillers. Sure, I would have been fine on my own, but knowing that I had his support, whether I thought I needed it or not, made all the difference. In a solid relationship, you
- These seemingly innocent phrases still have the power to wound… big-time. By Anna, Davies, REDBOOK.
1. "Did I ever tell you about the time X and I skinny-dipped?""She didn't, but now that's all I can think about," says Charles S., 42. "I've never skinny-dipped with her, and she's my wife! I wonder what other wild things she and her ex got up to that I've never heard about." While you may intend to innocently share stories about your crazy single days, your guy hears this and assumes you're still hung up on your ex. You don't have to edit your stories for his ears, but add how much more fun it would be to go skinny-dipping with him so he knows that he's the only one you want.
2. Do you know how many gray hairs you have?
"My wife said this to me on my 40th birthday!" says Mike S., 41. "I know she was just kidding, but more than a year later, I still think about it every time I look in the mirror. I thought I looked good." Gentle ribbing is part of marriage, but it'sRead More »from 10 Things He'll Never Forget You Said
- Bridal Guide | SHE – Fri 4 Apr, 2014 7:03 PM IST
Like many brides, Xiang Junfeng describes her wedding day as the happiest day of her life. "I never wanted it to end," she told the Daily Mail. And so it didn't - at least when it comes to her wardrobe. "I decided I wanted to not only keep wearing my dress, but actually bought four other wedding dresses as well."
Junfeng's wedding day was especially meaningful because it wasn't just a celebration of love - it was a celebration of her freedom. Originally from Jimo, China, she was kidnapped at the age of 18, sold as a slave, and forced to marry an elderly man in Linyi. It took 15 years until she could escape to Liujiazhuang village, where she was helped by a local woman. When she later met the woman's brother, the two immediately hit it off. "I had only ever known a violent and abusive man, and I avoided men until I met my new partner, who brought me truly out of my shell and treated me so differently…I couldn't believe it when he askedRead More »from This Woman Has Worn a Wedding Dress Every Day for 10 Years
The animal kingdom is full of intelligent, strategic and empathetic animals. From Killer Whales and Dolphins, to Chimpanzees and Elephants, we have heard, and sometimes seen, how their complex minds function, whether it be in matters of problem-solving or strategising to get food.
But do not underestimate the bird kingdom. If you remember that Aesop's Fable about the crow and the pitcher, you will know exactly what we mean.
However, how can we determine how smart the bird actually is? This video will show you, and surprise you how intelligent this bird really is. This brings us to the question of the hour, are crows the most brilliant of birds?
Dr Alex Taylor is a specialist who studies wild birds for a period of three months before releasing them in the wild. He set up this complex 8-level task for a crow. Of course the crow is familiar with each of the tasks separately, but has never approached all of them at the same time, in sequence. This is the first test of it's kind.
Watch what Read More »from Are crows the most brilliant of birds?
In Pharell Williams' superhit 2013 song 'Happy' (Youtube grab above), the lyrics are simple:
It might seem crazy what I'm about to say,
Sunshine she's here you can take a break
I'm a hot air balloon that could go to space
With the air, like I don't care, baby, by the way,
Because I'm happy...
This song was such a big hit that The United Nations Foundation collaborated with Pharell Williams to bring the whole world together on International Day of Happiness in a unique way.
24hoursofhappiness.com (#happyday) was launched to bring together many countries and cities such as Sydney, Kuwait, Hong Kong, Madagascar, Kenya, Dubai, where regular people danced to the 'Happy' tune. In the process, people could also do a good deed by donating to the Central Emergency Response Fund, a UN venture that supports critical aid operations for people affected by natural disasters and armed conflicts.
The following video is India's contribution to 24hoursofhappiness.com. Sony Music India released the India versionRead More »from How happy are you? Dance to the 'happy' tune
- POPSUGAR FitnessSource: 21 Unexpected Beauty Uses For Coconut Oil
There are very few beauty products that we can honestly say are cure-alls, but coconut oil comes pretty close. You can use it for everything from healing scars to moisturizing dry knees. Recently, all the talk about relying on this oil for fresh breath got us thinking: what can't coconut oil do? The answer: mattify (and it took us a minute to come up with that one). Celebrities like Emma Stone count it among their favorite natural ingredients, and you should, too. We just stuck to the beauty applications here, but there are tons more tasks it can handle, from starting fires to losing a few pounds. So head to your local health food store, pick up a jar, and allow this list to help you get creative with coconuts.
- Makeup Remover: Even the most resistant waterproof mascara doesn't stand a chance against coconut oil. Apply it directly to the face as an oil cleanser or let it sit on your skin with a cotton pad. Makeup will melt away.
BEST OF LIFESTYLE BLOGS
Ever taken a ride on a motorcycle taxi? They're not always the choice of the affluent but solo travelers can enjoy unusual experiences in Nigeria, Thailand, Cambodia and even in Goa More »Traveler - Wed 23 Apr, 2014 11:48 AM IST
This week, Chef Vikas shares memories of being his grandmother's apprentice. Lawrence Garden was the first restaurant they opened. While the original restaurant closed when Chef Vikas moved to the US, some recipes, like this one, will always remain close to his heart. More »Vikas @ Home - Wed 23 Apr, 2014 10:33 AM IST
by Hillary McDaniels Becoming a princess overnight: it's something we've likely all dreamt about since childhood. But since the likelihood of us becoming the next Princess Grace or Duchess Kate is pretty low, we'll just have to settle with daydreaming about what we would do if we were suddenly royal. From the jewels to the gowns to the official portraits, being regal comes with tons of amazing-not to mention incredibly stylish-perks. In honor of Queen Elizabeth's 88th birthday today, we're taking a look at her stunning personal jewelry collection-along with a couple of the most famous coronation crowns. Click through above to marvel at these incredible family heirlooms with us, and let us know what you'd wear if you became instant royalty! More from Lucky: 8 Outfits Men Love on Women How to Wear a Baseball Cap and Look Cool Fancy Beauty Buys for Under $20 The Greatest Celeb Bikini Moments Ever More »SHE - Tue 22 Apr, 2014 12:49 AM IST