This simple activity that we do everyday is really a great way to get healthy. Read on about the many surprising benefits of walking.
A new week is about to begin. Which means you can set new resolutions and get on that fitness program you’ve been putting off since the beginning of the year.
Top 10 benefits of walking
And this weekend, if there’s just one thing you should start doing to get fitter, let that be walking. Here are 10 reasons why!
1. It’s great exercise. Walking at a steady pace for 30 to 45 minutes a day has been proven to be an excellent fat burner. Do this six times a week, along with following a healthy diet, and you will see a change in your weight. A good speed of walking is 6km/hour. In other words, it should take you 10 minutes to cover a kilometre.
2. It’s good for the heart. Walking is known to reduce blood pressure, improve blood circulation and all round cardiovascular functions
3. It increases stamina. Walking regularly at a good speed also improves muscle strength and endurance.
4. Promotes mental health. Walking is a great stress buster. And if you’re able to walk outdoors, there’s nothing like it. The combination of fresh air and exercise is an excellent mood booster and you’ll definitely find yourself feeling happier as well as healthier.
5. It’s good for your bones. Walking is a great way of strengthening your bones. Walking 30 minutes a day actually increases bone density and slows down bone loss in the legs. This low-impact exercise also targets your spine, legs and hips.
6. Prevents type 2 diabetes. Studies show that walking 150 minutes per week can reduce the risk of diabetes, which is why doctors highly recommend it to anyone who has a history of diabetes in their family.
7. Reduces risk of breast and colon cancer. Studies show that regular walking can reduce a person’s chances of getting breast and colon cancer.
8. Safer than running. Many experts believe that walking is actually better than running because it’s easier on your knees and joints. It leads to fewer injuries and if you’re just starting to exercise, it’s a good beginner workout.
9. Anyone can do it. Walking is truly a democratic exercise because anyone at ANY fitness level can do it. If you’re completely out of shape, start by walking 20 minutes a day and then slowly increase the time every week.
10. It’s free! Unlike most other forms of exercise, all walking requires is a pair of good walking shoes. Walk in the park; on the road; up the stairs; on a treadmill; in a long corridor, it really doesn’t matter. You don’t need expensive equipment or a partner to do this. So if you’re in the mood for a good, safe workout, just start walking!
Photograph by Ramasamy Chidambaram, via sxc.hu
You may also like:
- Video – Circuit training exercises to lose weight
- Top 10 (inexcusable) excuses not to exercise
- Yaana Gupta reveals her fitness secrets