'Yahoo brings Vikas @ Home' is a brand new 52-week video series from Yahoo Lifestyle Cuisine. Every week, Masterchef Vikas Khanna will bring you one dish that has made a difference in his life; as he shares the recipe, he will also share his experiences and stories behind that recipe. Stay tuned for an exciting 52-week journey with Chef Vikas.
EPISODE SIX - MUTTON IN GOAN PICKLING SPICES
The vast diversity of Indian cuisine never ceases to amaze Chef Vikas Khanna. This time he shares a recipe from the sandy, sunny beaches of Goa.
10 dried red chillies
20 cloves garlic, peeled
2 ½ tablespoons black peppercorns
2 tablespoons turmeric
½ cup palm vinegar
1 tablespoon salt (or as required)
1 onion, peeled & coarsely chopped
2 inch piece of ginger, peeled & coarsely chopped
750 gm mutton
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine red chillies, garlic, peppercorns, turmeric, vinegar, salt, onion and ginger. Let it rest for 8 to 10 minutes. Then grind to a coarse paste in a mixer-grinder.
2. Add the paste to the mutton and mix well, making sure the mutton is evenly coated with the paste. (The mutton may be marinated in prepared spice paste for 15 to 20 minutes if desired.)
3. Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Place the mutton pieces on the pan to sear for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over and repeat.
4. Reduce the heat to low, add 1 cup of water and let it simmer for at least an hour or till meat is cooked through.
5. Serve hot with plain steamed rice or bread.
Make this dish at home and let us know how it turned out. Do keep in touch with us by sending in your comments/feedback in the comments space below. See you next week!
Yahoo presents Vikas@Home is a brand new 52-week series hosted by International Masterchef Vikas Khanna. Stayed tuned for latest episodes, every Wednesday at 11 am, only on Yahoo India Lifestyle Cuisine